Not everyone had enough servers for OpenStack or MAAS. Some people have a simple box in the corner, or a cheap VPS. Juju makes it real easy to deploy services, we can have an “unprovider” that will ssh into the box and deploy charms. We need help working on this “unprovider”.
There will be limitations, like the nice horizontal scalability, for those things you’ll need a real cloud … but we can bring most of the goodness for a bunch of common use cases.
Thomas Leonard started this work, see the mailing list thread below. He’s since moved on to OpenStack so this project is ripe for someone hungry to finish it off.
bzr branch lp:~tal-it-innovation/juju/provided
What needs to happen
- We need to determine if this branch works with the latest version of Juju in the PPA.
- We need to make sure the code works and deploys via SSH.
- We need to possibly refactor things to make it a proper provider like the other ones. #juju on freenode can help here.
- We need testing and bug reports to determine if it can be a proper, supported provider.
- We need to merge it into core pyJuju.
- At some point in the future, with testing, feedback, and improvements, we can forward port the feature to goJuju.